Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Frutti di Bosco



On Day 2, I make due 
with a makeshift holiday
Turn Venice out like May 5th
I'm roaming, so don't call today
Refuse to have time wasted
I'll see more than the basics
I had a peche plate last night
when I burp, I can taste it
Cobble stone pavement
right next to Bareteri bridge
Is where I made this statement:
"I'm killing this vacation!"
Right here is where they'll bury Chris
Check my pylon placement
Weight on my shoulders, can't let what's carried slip
Amazement
is what you should endow every second with
I'm too nice
Go ask Professor Stern what the lesson is



I now bring you the Italian Soundtrack by C.A  pt.2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65oWFMSoK0


The lesson for today is have no expectations. A building is a building; the novelty resides in showing off via a picture. Second lesson: don't be a lone-wolf so much.
There are definite advantages, but in the end, you come-off as selfish. hell, I'm sitting in front of la Basilica de San Marco, kvetching about that very fact. I'm of the opinion that the group lost me, not the other way around. I'll admit though, being stationary is a beautiful thing. 
St.Mark's Basilica


Left:La Basilica di San Marco, Right: The Doge's palace

  
Venice's greatness has always been reflected in the Basilica's enrichment: during the centuries the Venetians embellished it with precious objects and works of art brought in from the most distant places, thus creating a grand, compact monument.This basilica is the one we see today. It was the doge's private chapel until 1807, when it became the city's cathedral.
It's distinguishing Byzantine character appears particularly on the great mosaics illustrating St. Marco's tales, as well as the scenes of the Old and New TestamentSt.Mark's Basilica is also well known for the Pala d'Oro, one of the richest and most precious altar screens in the world. It is covered with more than 3000 precious stones and enamel icons inlaid in gold.



Done with pictures, I'm attempting to sponge up all of the sensory information. Would St.Mark have enjoyed his name being associated with Disney World? If not, too bad I suppose. A good few thousand traipse past me, maybe 2% being Italian. Would St.Mark appreciate the commercialization of his work? His name is literally used to generate boatloads of income. He never even heard of Venezia. the more I consider this, the more I lower a visor of distaste. St.Mark poured his lifeblood into establishing Christianity in Alexandria. I'm a long way from Egypt. His remains were stolen and shipped to Venezia as a political ploy, all as an act of compensation. At this point, the winged lion that symbolizes San Marco is dually representative of Venice. that's a bit pompous if you ask me. Just about everything in this square has a wing on it. Just about every person has a camera fixated on a winged bust.
 I would again like to reiterate that the group lost me. So, now I stand, in what to me is the most obvious location: one of three 30 ft. flagpoles. Unless these doe-eyed...individuals, pick another path, they'll spy me, translating my rants to paper. Frankly, I have never wished to have a tour guide, with one of those dorky flags, more in my life. As I feel the stress rise, I recall my mission statement. I'm gonna have a good time and if I don't, I'm still gonna have a good time.
The Campanile bell tower, rebuilt in 1902



Everyone takes the same pictures. what's the point in an amateur mashing their smart phones to take a picture of an arch? I understand if your family is in the foreground but dozens of individuals are simply on a click-and-move program, snapping crooked, blurred pictures of every crevice and crenellation. Buy a postcard. It's handicapping your memory people! Relying on a camera to visually record, will keep your mind blank when attempting a memory recall. if you're having fun, go for it, but there are way too many souls who stone-facedly stare at their digital displays, without a hint of enjoyment, or even a smile. Of course disregard this rant if you have to take pictures so as to pretty up a graded blog. 

I ended up on quite the journey, traveling southeast from St.Mark's square. Of particular interest was Vivaldi's church, Santa Maria Della Pieta, where Vivaldi lived and worked. Built in 1730, this church was adjacent to the renowned orphanage where Vivaldi's student-musicians lived.

I

The

The night was brought to a close with a healthy dose of gelato. Today I tried Frutti di Bosco which literally means "Fruits of the Forest." It's really just good ol' fashioned mixed berries. Not too shabby ladies and gents 





No comments:

Post a Comment